Welcome!

Country Style Accents is a variety of unique furniture, home decor, florals, and holiday decor.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Souix City Journal table!


The Sioux City Journal from 1954!  Small story, but I love stories behind pieces.  A couple of years ago my mother-in-law and I were in Iowa going to an estate sale she had heard about.  Out in the middle of no where stood this gorgeous old farmhouse!  White with flowers everywhere!  There were 2 boxes of canning jars for $2 each box!  I couldn't pass them up!  Anyways, they sat in my closet for close to a year now and I decided I was going to need them for my wedding.  So I took out all of the jars to clean them up and I noticed dirty yellow looking newspaper at the bottom of the box.  This was the paper!  It was VERY brittle and falling apart every where I touched it but I have kept it for the last 6 months trying to figure out what I was going to do with it.  I couldn't bring myself to through it away!  So this is what I finally came up with almost 2 years later from buying those boxes of canning jars. 





As you can see some of the wrinkles in the paper, because of it's age and that it was sitting in the box wrinkled up it was very difficult to try and smooth the paper out without tearing it.  So some of the wrinkles I just had to leave and put enough chemicals over it that would make the paint store look small! 

I hope you enjoy.  I loved creating this table.  It just made me giddy! ;)

Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments and/or suggestions! I love reading them!